FAQs about riding the Mount Washington Cog Railway
- The Cog Railway primarily operates clean, efficent biodiesel locomotives. A coal-fired steam locomotive will generally be operated early each day.
View our train schedule here.
- You may purchase tickets at the ticket office, but advance ticket purchase is recommended and available online up to two hours prior to departure.
Buy Tickets Online here.
- Our coaches are historic in design, with narrow door openings. However, every effort will be made to accommodate special needs. Please call ahead for assistance.
- Coaches are enclosed and heated when necessary, and run in all weather. Temperatures at the summit may be much colder - be sure to bring ample clothing.
- Smoking is not permitted on any train or in any of our buildings at any time.
- Passengers may not carry alcohol on board at any time. (RSA 179.27)
- Please plan to arrive 30 minutes before departure time to allow plenty of time for ticketing and rest room visits. All trains board 15 minutes before departure time on a first-come, first-seated basis. It is suggested that passengers use the restrooms, gift shop and restaurant at Marshfield Base Station prior to and/or after their excursion.
- There are no restroom facilities on the train. There are restroom facilities at the visitor center on the summit.
- Only service animals are allowed on the train. (No pets, please.)
- Some trains are authentic coal-fired steam, please dress accordingly.
- Strollers, car seats and coolers are not allowed on the train. Carry-on items must be small enough to fit on your lap.
- All schedules, fares and motive power are subject to change without notice. Trains may be canceled due to extreme weather or lack of bookings.
For more information or if you have any questions, call 603-278-5404 or 1-800-922-8825 outside of NH.