Schedule & Tickets
FAQs about riding the Mount Washington Cog Railway
The Cog Railway is open to visitors from late April through November. Throughout the season, The Cog hosts events and offers various specials on select trains. The train schedule is also available on our booking page. We strongly suggest you book your tickets in advance
- All schedules, fares and motive power are subject to change without notice. Train trips may be shortened due to extreme weather. In this event, passengers will be credited the difference in price.
- The Cog Railway primarily operates clean, efficent biodiesel locomotives. A coal-fired steam locomotive will generally be operated early each day.
View our train schedule here.
- You may purchase tickets at the ticket office, but advance ticket purchase is recommended and available online up to two hours prior to departure.
Buy Tickets Online here.
- Our coaches are historic in design, with narrow door openings. However, every effort will be made to accommodate special needs. Please call ahead for assistance.
- Coaches are enclosed and heated when necessary, and run in all weather. Temperatures at the summit may be much colder - be sure to bring ample clothing.
- Smoking is not permitted on any train or in any of our buildings at any time.
- Passengers may not carry alcohol on board at any time. (RSA 179.27)
- Please plan to arrive 45 minutes before departure time to allow plenty of time for ticketing and rest room visits. All trains board 15 minutes before departure time on a first-come, first-seated basis. It is suggested that passengers use the restrooms, gift shop and restaurant at Marshfield Base Station prior to and/or after their excursion.
- There are no restroom facilities on the train. There are restroom facilities at the visitor center on the summit.
- Only service animals are allowed on the train. (No pets, please.)
- Some trains are authentic coal-fired steam, please dress accordingly.
- Strollers, car seats and coolers are not allowed on the train. Carry-on items must be small enough to fit on your lap.
Group Rates are available, please visit our Group Page for details